H O U S E O F C O M M O N S
APPGITA – All Party Parliamentary Group for
Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction
House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA
Newsletter 2, March 25, 2008
- Jim Dobbin MP and Barry Haslam visited the Oldham Tranquilliser Withdrawal Clinic to meet Dr Elizabeth King from Canada. Dr King had heard of Oldham’s pioneering work with addicts and ex addicts and hopes to follow the Oldham Clinic’s approach in treating tranquilliser addicts. Barry is working with the Oldham PCT to calculate a costing per patient for withdrawal.
- The APPG made proposals to John Mann’s Drug Policy Manifesto Consultation.
- The APPG met with David Stone, a representative from Mind to discuss approaches to treatment.
- The APPG met with Annette Pereira from the National Treatment Agency to look at the lack of services for Involuntary Tranquilliser addicts.
- Jim Dobbin MP has submitted further Parliamentary questions (Tranquillisers: Pregnant Women and Babies: Tranquillisers, March 11, 2008) and a new EDM 1056, which are available to view on the parliamentary website.
- Jim Dobbin MP and Michael Behan met with David Freud of the DWP to discuss the effects of Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction on Incapacity Benefit.
- We are awaiting a date for an exhibition in Parliament on Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction.
- Dawn Primarolo has not replied to the requests to visit the Oldham Clinic, nor to our request for a meeting with the APPG.
Jim Dobbin MP, Chair